Posts by Invention101:
It’s SUMMER! You have survived another year of law school. Congratulations! Have you thought about your career after law school? It’s never too early to start strategizing on actually having a career rather than a job. The competition is stiff. What are you doing to distinguish yourself from other students? Here are a few tips that will help you to advance in your career.
1. First, be open to alternative careers. You’re still a student. Take advantage of all opportunities. Don’t limit yourself. Now is the time to explore all options.
2. Attend your law school networking events and follow up with attorneys. Create a database to store all contact information of the attorneys you meet. You never know when you’ll need to send out a newsletter or an email.
3. Create a blog to get your name out. Analyze cases! Distinguish yourself! The internet has provided an opportunity for you to create your own brand. Take advantage of it. If you’re interested in trademark law, for example, create a blog with niche trademark information.
4. Use social media. (Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin). How will anyone know what you’re capable of if they don’t know you? Social media is a great tool to create a global brand and to grow your followers and supporters.
5. Research jobs and attorney you are interviewing with. Be prepared. Don’t waste their time. The worse thing you can do in an interview is ask questions where the answers can easily be found on the Firm’s site. For example, don’t ask an attorney where they attended law school. Rather, relate their law school to something personal to let them know you did your homework!
6. In an interview, ask intelligent questions to show you’ve done your research, not just “How much will you pay?” Talk about a big case the firm won or a current event.
Remember, your career research should be career focused not job focused. There’s a huge difference.
Time is valuable and irreplaceable so it is important to spend time doing things you love, including working. Happy CAREER hunting!
What’s the best advice you’ve received that has advanced your career?
Today, I had the pleasure of interviewing Donna Maria Coles Johnson, Founder and Owner of The Indie Business Network. Enjoy this Blab interview below to learn more about business, branding and life. Successfully creating a business, branding your business and balancing life are critical to propelling your business.
Enjoy this video!
What are you doing to balance your business and personal life?
Are you prioritizing the wrong things in your business? We are all given 24 hours in a day. People often ask entrepreneurs how they accomplish so much in one day. It sounds cliche but it’s simple. Successful entrepreneurs prioritize their time. If you are not setting daily realistic goals during the day, you could be […]
Hopefully, many of you are taking advantage of continuing to grow your skills and expertise by attending conferences. For example, lawyers in most states are required to attend (Continuing Legal Education) CLE conferences to keep their bar licenses active. Attending conferences is also a great way to expand and grow your brand in other industries. […]
Today, I had the honor of being the last speaker at the BizTechWomen Conference held on Periscope. I discussed trademarks, the strength of marks and choosing a strong mark for your brand. Enjoy this video! Is your mark strong or weak?
Congratulations on taking the next steps to secure federal trademark registration on your trademark! Now, you’re at a crossroad! Should you really hire a trademark attorney to prosecute your trademark application? You have the right to prosecute trademark applications pro-se (without an attorney) or represented by counsel. It’s your choice. However, choose wisely! If you […]
I had a very exciting and engaging interview on Small Biz Show TV on March 9, 2016. I dispelled many myths that so many of you have about intellectual property! Enjoy this replay of the video! What is the wildest intellectual property myth you’ve heard?
Congratulations on having a business! Did you form the correct type of corporation? Are you using a business coach to guide you in the right direction? Are you using the best tools to keep your financials in order? Is your intellectual property protected? WHEW! Enjoy this Blab with four professionals who offer four perspectives about […]